Monday 27 August 2012

An International "DOI!" Moment...

When I was at school, if ever anyone did or said anything stupid, they'd be met with a response of "DOI!" in the strangest accent you've ever heard. I'm not quite sure how this came about but I suppose it's a bit like Homer Simpson's "D'OH!", and it's probably 90% of the reason why I most liked to keep my mouth shut around my peers.

Anyway, last night I had my very own "DOI!" moment concerning sewing terms. I'm from Australia, was taught to sew by my Australian mum and have never really spoken to an American about sewing before, so you can imagine my confusion when reading American sewing tutorials on the internet - all those measurements in inches and feet, not to mention the sewing terms, and this is where my "DOI!" moment originated from.

After weeks and weeks of reading these foreign tutorials, you can imagine the amount of times I have stumbled across the word "serger", never knowing what one is or whether I even owned one. At first I thought it must be some kind of high-tech sewing machine I'd never heard of before (I'm only a beginner), and then it clicked - it's an overlocker, duh! (or "DOI!" as my comtemporaries would say).

I've been skipping over tutes which had "serger" written in them for nothing - I've had one all along, I just didn't know it! Haha.




P.S. I have no idea why my first post is now above my other two posts? If anyone knows how I mysteriously managed this, please let me know. As a perfectionist/sufferer of OCD, it's driving me bonkers! :)

1 comment:

  1. I do believe all the concepts you've offered on your post.
    They are very convincing and will definitely work. Nonetheless,
    the posts are too brief for starters. Could you please lengthen them a little from next
    time? Thank you for the post.

    Feel free to surf to my blog: จำนองบ้าน

    ReplyDelete