Wednesday 26 February 2014

Book Review: Me of the Never, Never by Fiona O'Loughlin


I recently remembered that I am in possession of not one, but three library cards and finally decided to give up my expensive book buying spree I've been on and give them a bit of exercise. I went to the library a couple of weeks ago with a handful of highly recommended books on the "to borrow" list - none of which were present at either of my local branches! Still in need of something to read I decided to have a browse and just bring home whatever jumped out at me until the books I really wanted came back in. Well, I certainly surprised my fantasy-loving self bringing home three biographies, but I think I made a good decision as the two I've read so far have been thoroughly enjoyable!

Fiona O'Loughlin is one of my favourite Aussie comedians, so I was thoroughly intrigued to see what secrets and stories her memoir might hold. I absolutely devoured this book, racing through the first half in just one afternoon and finishing the rest over the following two days.

The memoir is made up of hilarious anecdotes and touching moments and follows her life from early childhood through to where she is now. There are highs and lows, there is plenty of chaos and the memoir resonates with me perfectly. We often put comedians and other celebrities up on a pedestal, imagining them to have perfectly organised and luxurious home lives, but this memoir proves otherwise. Fiona's family is as lovingly dysfunctional as any of ours and I love her for it. If you're after some light reading that will make you laugh and make you cry (sometimes simultaneously), then this is the book for you. Plus, with comedy festival season at our doorsteps, now is the perfect time to gain a further insight to one of Australia's most loved comedians.


No comments:

Post a Comment