Sunday 16 February 2014

The little things that show he cares



I don't give my wonderful boyfriend enough credit! I woke up on Friday morning expecting nothing but a card and maybe some flowers or chocolates since Jake had hinted that he had bought me a Valentine's Day present. I had bought him some chocolates and a set of 5 action movies, one of which we saw on one of our first dates, 2 1/2 years ago. I didn't put a lot of thought into what I bought - it was only Valentine's Day, we've never made a big deal out of it, and generic flowers or chocolates were all I was expecting to receive, after all!

I unwrapped the rectangular present he handed me on Friday morning thinking I knew exactly what was inside. The paper fell away, and the chocolates I was expecting were nowhere in sight! Instead out tumbled Lorde's album, Pure Heroine, and the DVD of The Great Gatsby - two things I had very much coveted. My chest tightened and my eyes welled up. You might not think this is a particularly romantic gesture, but what this gift meant to me is unexplainable. Jake is a man of few words. He is a bloke's bloke, he likes things simple, and these two little gifts surprised me because they're perfect. These two presents were proof to me of the attention he pays me. Jake held me as I cried over reading The Great Gatsby a few months back and has patiently endured me turning the radio up to an ungodly level every time Lorde comes on ever since I first heard Royals about a year ago. I never would have guessed that he had taken note of these things, but I'm glad he did. A CD and a DVD aren't exactly equivalent to diamonds as far as gifts go, but they mean more to me than expensive jewellery ever could because it's the little things like this that show he cares.

I hope your Valentine's Day was filled with simple gestures from your loved ones that show they care, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment